a personal place for prayers, thoughts, stories and updates from me, on my journey with Intercordia

Saturday, December 4, 2010

BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA !!

As God Wills, Intercordia has kindly chosen Bosnia-Herzegovina as the placement for me this summer.
I am ecstatic, nervous, excited and humbly astounded by this opportunity. Thank you thank you thank you to all who are making this possible.
As my thirst and yearning to grow closer to my Creator and find a vocation, I feel a tremendous mix of emotions, facing this experience. I now am beginning to try to build a solid ground under me... so that when I leave my friends, loves ones and communities behind, and enter a new culture, language, cuisine, climate and community... I do not go mad, entirely.


I have been thirsting for an opportunity to learn more about how best I am able to serve others... I pray this experience helps me...
This is from the message I have sent out to some friends and family...


Though it has been fifteen years since the devastating war, many communities in Bosnia-Herzegovina live as though there is an invisible line running through their villages. On one side, live the Christians and on the other side the Muslims.
Several centers have been established in the heart of these villages, to facilitate community programs where Muslim and Christian Youth can come together to learn, grow, share and heal through art and other means of self expression. The Intercordia program is not sending people like myself into these situations to bring our western ideals and romantic dreams of reforming communities. 






Instead, Intercordia challenges us to just go beyond our selves and witness the diversity of human experience. To learn to serve, and serve to learn.I am trying to fundraise money for the experience and to bring over art and theatre supplies, jump ropes and soccer balls for the Youth of Bosnia-Herzegovina.


Want to Help? If you could kindly support me in doing this, please visit my online page where donations are accepted. http://www.canadahelps.org/GivingPages/GivingPage.aspx?gpID=10130





I also ask if you could please add all victims of genocide, religious persecution and ignorance, the Youth of Bosnia-Herzegovina and myself and fellow students at Intercordia, to your prayers.
As I will close each message with a prayer, here is my favorite hymn about God calling us to follow Her and serve creation in any way we possibly can :)
Love love love

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?








Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?
Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?
 Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?
 Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?
Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.








Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.



Text: John L. Bell b.1949; Graham Maule.




© 1987, Wild Goose Resource Group, Iona Community, GIA Publications, Inc.
Tune: Scottish traditional, Kelvingrove. Arranged by John L. Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment